Sunday, April 4, 2010

My 1st job: The story so far!!

REWIND:Well this has to be the most intimate & important part of my life....my 1st job!!Like many other aspiring MBA's i 2 had my own share of triumphs & tribulations..Last summer i was gearing up for my on campus placements along with my worthy batch mates & friends..excitement & drama on campuses throughout India was common.nail biting finishes much like the IPL!!

Though i had lost faith in the placement system..destiny had something else..not many people know that i was not shortlisted for BANK OF BARODA the first time but i am told somebody spilled the beans (as in lack of transparency in the processes of shortlisting candidates)and again a new list was prepared containing my name in there..that was a treat for my eyes!!whoever that person was..i think for me he was a messenger of god:)

I do not remember the date but i was skeptical,apprehensive and had developed jelly knees on the D day..i was not very sure about my selection and was making frantic attempts to secure a job through personal contacts..Bhagwan ke Ghar me der hai Andher Nahi.i got a much awaited call from my college confirming my selection.my joy knew no bounds!!

With the passage of time i received intimation about my joining dates..the letter read Chennai!!my hopes of going to Kolkata and re-uniting with my friends were in tatters!!i had to make a dash as i only had a week to report from the day i got the letter..I reported on the 14th of June 09 at chennai and gave out a sigh of relief when i saw people of my age anxiously waiting and arranging their respective doubts in their minds..to shoot at the HR!!I did not have much to bother about as my father a retired banker himself had already briefed me about the challenges..with my half baked knowledge about PSU's i was the agony aunt in few minutes..people were hurriedly coming to me to raise their doubts and queries!!i d scored on day zero!!

Towards the fag end of the reporting session i was informed that i had to report to Bangalore..that was some respite!I went to the respective office to report for my job..how proud i must have been !As i entered the office i created quite a commotion .i saw GREY HEADS raising their heads slowly from their cubicles ..reminded me of Jurassic Park for a moment!!i must say there were some who had dyed their hair also.

Their eyes lit up..arey naya bakra aa gaya!! somebody asked me on the 1st day .kab chodoge yeh naukri??..i said to myself what motivation man!

I was posted at RLF along with another poor soul-SAMEER!My office was nothing short of an Ekta Kapoor serial..back biting ,backlashes etc.We were sandwiched between the clash of egos..I honestly confess that amidst the chaos & mundane schedule i came across some lighter moments..The typical dialogues and one liners from my senile colleagues were catchy..and what pained me was to laugh at their jokes forcibly..it was a tough call..My flair and fondness for crude jokes found a new impetus and direction!!I made some good friends of my age in my organization.It was like finding an oasis in a desert.

To be addressed & introduced as a colleague to my seniors was worrisome at times..My stint at RLF was memorable..everyday i had to do a couple of inspections & contact leads for retail loans!That experience will surely count someday..

Now i am comfortably working at SME division .getting to learn a lot about balance sheet analysis..it has just been a month so i do not have much to share..but i have good company to work with..


NOTE: My experience at RLF has not been discussed at length due to security reasons:)

1 comment:

  1. Haha.. that was hilarious.. Nice one dude !!
    I cudnt stop laughing on reading the lines which said, GREY HEADS raising their heads & some with dyed hair..lol.. with Jurassic Park comments..

    U forgot to mention the period between ur RLF and SME experiences, which was the most amazing period (read: only amazing :P) "Induction training"

    Good going.. keep it up..!!

    ReplyDelete